Monday, July 26, 2010

Moo Bitch! Get Out the Whey!

I went to a roller derby on saturday!!! It was sooo awesome. I don't know if it's epicness could ever be captured in words. Interestingly enough they had a rule, no SLR cameras on the floor, so I could only take pics from the stands. That was kind of lame.

It was the most white trash event I've been to in a long long time. And I loved it. I've got the derby fever! I'll try to give more description if I ever get back around to it, but here're some pics.
IMG_9724

These are the Dairyland Dolls! They won. Go team!
IMG_9737

So in short, the girl with the star on her helmet (the jammer) of both teams tries to get through the "pack" before the girl on the other team does so. When they manage to do so, they have to go around again and catch up to the pack. Then, any person on the other team in the pack that they pass, they get a point for the team. That's called a Jam. There are probably about 15-20 jams every half, and there are two halfs. The front jammer decides when the jam is over and there's a lot of strategy. These girls were fierce.

So here you see that the dairyland jammer is out front, and since the ref is pointing at her like that, it means she's the lead jammer (has already made it through the pack before the other jammer) and is now going around to try to score points.
IMG_9768

2 comments:

  1. So... what was the team that lost? My RecSports boss does rollerderby, and plays for the Mad Rollin' Dolls. Hah. I bet that was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Houston HaRD Knocks lost. They lost big time.

    That's so cool that your boss does rollerderby! I'm absolutely in love with it right now. haha

    ReplyDelete