Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is Hoofer Motor Boat to Shore

I know this is a little late, but I was dead tired last night and had to work until just about now today. BUT, yesterday was surprisingly wonderful. So yeah, The Hoofers Sailing Club is pretty much the coolest club ever (in the summer at least).

We went sailing with John, who we met on the terrace Friday, and four of his friends. Ian had a sailing class and so he didn't come out with us. The plan was for him to make his way out with some other people on another sailboat, but there wasn't much wind.

Ian and his crew ended up getting stuck out on the water, so around sundown a boat went and pulled them back to shore. We were told at sundown a motorboat comes around and pulls in anyone who was "stupid enough to get stuck out there." Luckily, our boat had a motor, although we didn't use it until we had to go back in.

This is Sarah, she's a sailing instructor, and met John through her boyfriend, Nick, and they're instructors together.
IMG_7858

This is Rei, she is a grad student that just got a job at Princeton teaching Japanese. She met John through her roommate who is really good friends with John and has hung out with him on multiple occasions.
IMG_7848

This is Nick, he is also a sailing instructor, and met John because they're both meterologist majors.
IMG_7889

This is me. I met John at the Terrace. On Friday. I would probably not have been on the boat except for Emily. I felt like... I had no right to be there. Yet, they all were extremely welcoming.
IMG_7826

I've decided sailors are very laid back people. You have to be in order to have the mentality, "Let's go out on the water. What, there's supposed to be 0 wind tonight and that is our mode of transportation? Who wants to grab the life jackets?" There's not even any mention of not going out. They chuckle and its as if they're saying: we might get stuck, and that will be hilarious.

I like them a lot.
IMG_7921

Not only did we sail, we played cards and drank beer from a keg. A keg! On the sailboat! Am I the only one whose mind is blown by this awesomeness?
IMG_7912

P.S. I asked what "coming in warm" (which is more often said as "coming in hot") meant, and it means coming in too fast! Good to know, right? Although there are a lot of other definitions for coming in hot. I really like number three.

2 comments:

  1. Haley, I LOVE your blog. Your photos make me pine for madison in the summer... I miss you all and am jealous of your awesome camera and great experiences. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super exciting! You should join the sailing club. I think a guy from the ERLC is in the sailing club... Nick Clarens. He might be on the sailing team. Is there a difference? Either way, I love that pic of Sarah, the sailing instructor.

    ReplyDelete